|“||You have all faced many great dangers--Rahi, Rahkshi, Bohrok and more. But others walked the path before you...others witnessed the birth of true darkness. Heroes of Mata Nui...brothers...it is time you knew the truth--you are not the first Toa!||”|
|Alternate title||What is Vakama's Secret?|
|Number in series||15|
|Previous comic||Comic 14: At Last -- Takanuva!|
|Next Comic||Comic 16: Toa Metru!|
Secrets and Shadows was the fifteenth issue of the original BIONICLE comic series, and was mailed with the November/December 2003 edition of LEGO Magazine. It picks up the story after the events of BIONICLE: Mask of Light.
Makuta has been defeated, and light restored to the island of Mata Nui. Everywhere, Matoran are celebrating and preparing for their journey to a new land. But there are still secrets to be revealed and questions to be answered....
As the Toa Nuva wonder about what lies ahead, the Turaga wrestle with a great decision: should they share all that they know about the new island? The truth would help prepare the Toa for the dangers that lie ahead. But it might also shatter their trust in the Turaga forever.
Everything the Toa thought they knew is about to change. Gather now, and listen to the tale of Vakama...
The Rahkshi have been defeated, and Makuta banished from the island of Mata Nui. The Matoran prepare to travel to the newly-discovered city of Metru Nui. Nokama warns them that while the city may appear beautiful, its peace is deceptive. Elsewhere, Jaller, Takanuva, and Vakama are overlooking the wreckage of Ta-Koro. Takanuva is confident, looking forward to their journey. Vakama cautions the Toa of Light, reminding him how one cannot assess an enemy by its appearance. To illustrate, the Turaga reflects on the exploits of the Toa Nuva during the recent search for the Seventh Toa. Tahu, Kopaka, and Lewa had tracked the Rahkshi to Le-Wahi, only to find a loose Shadow Kraata and some infected Matoran. As they continued to search, they were ambushed by the two Rahkshi Kaita! One of them--Rahkshi Kaita Za--transforms into a tornado and bowls Tahu and Kopaka. The other--Rahkshi Kaita Za--begins to drain Lewa's energy.
With only seconds to spare, Kopaka creates a series of reflective ice walls, deflecting the Kaita's deadly energy blast into the Kaita Za. The Toa Nuva beat a hasty retreat, but not before Tahu brings down half a mountain upon the foes. The Turaga closes with an observation: because the Toa underestimated their foes, they almost died. With that, Vakama's decision has been made. It is time to tell the Toa Nuva everything. Later, the assembled Turaga speak with the Toa Nuva. There, Vakama finally reveals the incredible truth: the Toa Nuva are not, in fact, the first Toa!
- Greg Farshtey - Writer
- Randy Elliott - Penciller
- Elliot/Kryssing - Inkers
- Ken Lopez - Letterer
- Peter Pantazis - Colorist
- Jaye Gardner - Editor
- Toby Dutkiewicz - Layout and Design
- Ko-Matoran - Infected; in flashback
- Makuta - Mentioned only
- Po-Matoran - Infected; in flashback
- Rahkshi Kaita Za - First appearance; in flashback
- Rahkshi Kaita Vo - First appearance; in flashback
- Mata Nui
- Metru Nui - Mentioned only
- Silver Sea - Mentioned only
- Badge of Office
- Boats - Mentioned only
- Kanohi Nuva
- Kolhii Ball
- Kolhii Stick
- Toa Tools
|“||Once, long ago, it was the most beautiful place in all of Mata Nui's creation. But before we travel there, you must remember--appearances can be deceiving.||”|
|“||You will discover Metru Nui is filled with mystery...dark secrets that have been buried there since the time before time.||”|
- Comic middle: New Legends are About to Be Born section discusses new sets 8607 Nuhrii, 8608 Vhisola, 8609 Tehutti, 8610 Ahkmou, 8611 Orkahm, and 8612 Ehrye.
- Comic end: BIONICLE: Mask of Light (movie) advertisement; The Shadow Kraata Have Escaped section advertises Limited Edition Rahkshi sets with exclusive Shadow Kraata pieces; BIONICLE toothbrush advertisement.
- Rear cover: Advertisement for the upcoming Toa Metru sets.
- BIONICLE: Mask of Light (movie)
- BIONICLE: Mask of Light (book)
- Rahkshi Promotional Comic
- BIONICLE: Volume 1
- BIONICLE 2: Challenge of the Rahkshi