Sea of Darkness
|Number in series||8|
|Previous comic||Comic 7: Mask of Life, Mask of Doom|
|Next Comic||Comic 9: Battle in the Deep!|
Sea of Darkness was the eighth issue in the relaunched BIONICLE: Ignition series and part three in the Sea of Darkness sub-series. It was originally mailed with the May/June 2007 edition of the LEGO Club Magazine, and was later collected in BIONICLE 6: The Underwater City. This story saw the Barraki continue to seek the Mask of Life.
Nocturn swims after the Barraki Kalmah and Takadox, wanting to speak with them. Angry that the two apparently ignored him, the escaped prisoner follows them to the collapsed cave and begins to clear the rubble. Succeeding, he is astonished to see the warlords frantically swimming towards him. Behind them are a group of angry Zyglak, intent on attack. Takadox tricks Nocturn into fighting the monsters, and the Barraki escape. Even as they seek to find the Mask of Life, a Matoran has beaten them to it, and elsewhere Dekar prepares himself to destroy it. Before he can smash it, the mask gives off a blast of light. Kalmah sneaks up on Dekar and attempts to seize the Kanohi for himself. Sensing the danger it's in, the Mask of Life uses its power to enlarge a nearby Venom Eel, turning it into an impromptu guardian for itself. Unfortunately for the Kanohi, the energy surge is seen by the other Barraki, who zero in on its location.
In the cavern, Dekar threatens the warlords. The Barraki attack with squids, but the Ignika reduces them to nothing. The Matoran warns the villains about the mask's power, but Carapar dismisses his claim. Ehlek blasts Dekar with an electric shock, causing the him to drop the mask into Pridak's waiting hands. The villager gasps a final warning: the mask will destroy them all. The leader of the Barraki pays him no heed, instead gloating over the conquests and power he and his allies will seize. However, the Ignika is not without its defences. As a final resort, it unleashes a powerful energy blast, illuminating the depths of the ocean and creating for itself a new set of protectors: the Toa Mahri!
Next issue: Toa Mahri!
- Greg Farshtey - Writer
- Stuart Sayger - Artist
- Alex Bleyaert - Colorist
- Phil Balsman - Letterer
- Jennifer Redding - Asst. art director
- Toby Dutkiewicz - Art director/design
- Jessica Numsuwankijkul - Asst. editor
- Michael Wright - Editor
- Hahli - Cameo
- Hewkii - Cameo
- Jaller - Cameo
- Kongu - Cameo
- Mata Nui - Mentioned only
- Matoro - Cameo
- Nuparu - Cameo
- Shark Tooth Blade
- Squid Launcher
- Twin Knives
- Brotherhood of Makuta - Mentioned only
- Zyglak - First appearance
- Comic middle: The Barraki File section discusses the six Barraki sets and answers fan questions about the Barraki, their allies, and their ammunition.
- Rear cover: Advertisement for the upcoming summer 2007 Toa Mahri sets.
- This comic takes place concurrently with and partially adapts the end of BIONICLE Legends 6: City of the Lost.
- This comic was originally untitled when first released. It wasn't until its collection in the graphic novel BIONICLE 6: The Underwater City that it was named Sea of Darkness.