|“||The safety of our people is worth any risk. If power is all these creatures understand--then we will show them power!||”|
–Gali, before the Toa Mata imprison the Bahrag
|Number in series||8|
|Previous comic||Comic 7: What Lurks Below|
|Next Comic||Comic 9: Divided We Fall|
Far beneath the surface of Mata Nui, the Toa have encountered a menace unlike any they have known before. Even with the might of the Exo-Toa armor to aid them, the heroes of Mata Nui seem unable to stop Cahdok and Gahdok, the twin rulers of the Bohrok swarms.
In desperation, the Toa will soon attempt something they have never dreamed of...something that threatens to unleash energies that will change the Toa forever. Can the Bohrok truly be defeated? And if so, what dread price will the Toa pay for their victory?
The darkest tales ever told on Mata Nui...are about to come true.
Deep underground, the Toa engage the Bahrag in battle for the sake of the island. Even with the Exo-Toa armor, it is not going well. Lewa is frozen, and Kopaka buried. Gali is overwhelmed with smothering waves of heat, while Onua and Pohatu are tricked into fighting illusions. Tahu take his stance against the twin queens. While their Fire powers are ineffective against the Toa of Fire, the Bahrag possess all six Bohrok powers, and pelt him with Stone. Tahu manages to protect himself with his Kanohi Hau, but he can't hold out for long. Gali notices his plight, but is too weak to intervene. She alerts Pohatu, who hurls a boulder between the Toa of Fire and the Bahrag queen. Tahu commands the others to abandon their armor, since it hinders their powers. The six surround the twins, uniting their powers to create a cage of crackling energy. Immediately after their victory, the ground shudders underneath the heroes, dropping them into tubes of energized protodermis. The mysterious substance swirls around them, hissing and crackling. In a blinding flash, the Toa are transformed. Silently the platforms return to the surface.
The Toa emerge from the tubes in an explosion, shocked at their sudden transformation. Kopaka and Onua marvel at their increased powers, but Tahu is more concerned with other matters: where are the Bahrag, and how do the Toa escape? The chamber shudders, sending boulders plummeting toward the heroes. With nowhere to run, Tahu activates his Mask of Shielding. To his astonishment, the mask's power protects the entire team. Thinking quickly, Kopaka instructs Lewa and Pohatu to combine their mask powers, allowing the Toa to fly out of the subterranean chamber. A swarm of Tahnok charge towards them, raging out of control without the Bahrag's direction. Onua shares the power of his Mask of Strength with the others, enabling them to create a hole in the cavern's stone floor. The Tahnok fall into the newly-created chasm, and Kopaka seals the pit with ice over them. The tunnel continues to collapse, forcing the Toa to flee. The team burst out of the Bohrok Nest, exuberant in their victory. Tahu declares the team transformed, Toa no more. Instead, he christens them...Toa Nuva!
- Greg Farshtey - Writer
- Carlos D'Anda - Penciller
- Randy Elliott - Inker
- Ken Lopez - Letterer
- Peter Pantazis - Colorist & Separator
- Gali/Gali Nuva - First appearance as Toa Nuva
- Kopaka/Kopaka Nuva - First appearance as Toa Nuva
- Lewa/Lewa Nuva - First appearance as Toa Nuva
- Onua/Onua Nuva - First appearance as Toa Nuva
- Pohatu/Pohatu Nuva - First appearance as Toa Nuva
- Tahu/Tahu Nuva - First appearance as Toa Nuva
- Tahnok - In special edition
- Bohrok Shields - In special edition
- Fire Shields - In special edition
- Kanohi Nuva - First appearance
- Krana - In special edition
- Toa Seal - First appearance
- Toa Tools
- Bohrok Swarms
|“||You dared challenge the Bohrok swarm? You have no hope! -- The mission will proceed! You dared oppose your brothers! Therefore you must fall! Mata Nui will be cleansed!||”|
|“||Fools! You think you have won...but you cannot imagine what you have unleashed!||”|
|“||Nothing has been lost. The protodermis had given us the power to protect our people from any danger...and the heal this shattered land! Once we were Toa...but now we are far, far more...Now and forevermore, we are...TOA NUVA!||”|
- Comic middle: Toa Nuva--The Power Lies Beneath section discusses the Toa Nuva and their new tools.
- Comic end: Advertisement for BIONICLE: Toa Nuva Reconstruct trading card game, New at BIONICLE.com section and advertisement for Toa Nuva trivia game at Toys'R'Us; Discover the Power of the Kanohi Nuva section discusses the new powers of the enhanced masks.
- Rear cover: Advertisement for BIONICLE shoes from Nike.
- BIONICLE Chronicles 2: Beware the Bohrok
- Bohrok Online Animations
- Toa Nuva Promotional Comic
- BIONICLE: Volume 1
- BIONICLE 1: Rise of the Toa Nuva
- Exclusive to the limited edition foil cover version