|Results from CBW|
(The archive of the old version of this page before the end of the vote can be found at Lego Bionicle:Move From Wikia.)
Recently, The administrators of both BIONICLEpedia and the administrators of Custom BIONICLE Wiki have decided that we want to move off the Wikia platform.
For more information, please click here (credit to Toa Auserv for writing it from a balanced point of view).
Both BP and CB wikis will be moved to a paid hosting platform.
The meeting decided that if the community votes yes, then we will move. The community decided to vote yes as well, so we will be moving.
More info on other things passed during the meeting can be read here.
The timeline will go like this:
Community voting begins
- Community voting for CBW ends
- Community Voting for BP ends
- Contact Wikia
- Lock DB
- Export DB
- Export Images
- Lock DB & Disable registration
- Import DB
- Import Images
- Implement fixes
- Unlock DB & Enable registration
- Turn this site into a wiki about set info, and link to both BS01 and the new B-pedia for storyline information.
Note that you will have to re-register seeing as Wikia will not hand over the user database, but your username will be protected until you register it (You have to register it with the same password as your Wikia password, to make sure you're the real you).
-Are we going get the pages?--Torongo 03:23, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
A comment from Wikia
I've just heard that some are thinking of moving away from Wikia. I didn't get a chance to talk to you about it before you voted, but I hope I can catch up a bit now.
From what I've read the main concerns are ads, spotlights and lack of access to the wiki controls.
We do have to be careful about what controls are made publicly accessible. Admins can already make a lot of changes to the wiki already but our main goal is to make sure that the wiki and the users are safe. Logging in to Wikia hides your IP address and gives you more control over who can see that information. For most home users, an IP doesn't give that much away (usually a general location, and the name of the company that provides your Internet service). But for some users, however, it can reveal more... for example the name of your school, college or workplace. Checkuser exposes this information, so giving it out to non-staff concerns us. Regardless, you can always contact Wikia staff any time you need assistance with a dilemma that requires the use of checkuser.
Regarding ads -- these are sent to us from various ad networks. We have settings on each that reject any problem ads (explicit, noisy and so on) but bad ones still get through. We are working on improving the filtering, and you can mail us using the Special:Contact form to report any problem ads. With enough information, we can identify the provider and stop the ad from being served.
We do filter our internal ads (the spotlights), which is why you didn't see the "Kenny" spotlight on this wiki. We should have considered the audience a bit more when we put these particular wrestling spotlights on a wiki about toys. Thanks for your feedback! We've removed the wrestling spotlights from all toy wikis.
- Glad to hear that the spotlights have been filtered. Unfortunately, our decision has already been made and it would be up to Panakalego to ultimately reject the move. And he's been a strong supporter of it, so I doubt that would happen. However, the plan is to have someone from another Bionicle wiki to take over this version of Bioniclepedia and change it from focusing on the Bionicle story to focus entirely on the Bionicle toys. So essentially we will be staying here, but changing the wiki's focus and exporting the old wiki to a new domain. And I know several of our members plan to stay here and continue editing the Wikia Bionicle wiki (which will probably be renamed to Bionicle Sector 02, knowing the guy who's taking over it). ToaAuserv?...BPAdmin 22:15, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
- What Auserv said, I feel the Bioniclepedia can do a bit better on it's own. But again, this wiki will be one about the actual products, with reviews, set information, piece information, etc. And there's a possibility of merging with the Bionicle reviews wikia wiki, if I get a definate response from the admin over there. This domain won't be abandoned, but the content will be moved to a new server, and this wiki will be changed to reflect the products more than the storyline. The community voted leave, I thank wikia for hosting us just the same. Panakalego (BPAdmin) 23:29, 4 February 2009 (UTC)