League of Six Kingdoms
Kalmah was one of the six Barraki, warlords who established the League of Six Kingdoms and defied the Great Spirit Mata Nui himself, only to be defeated and imprisoned in the Pit for thousands of years. After the appearance of the Mask of Life, he and the other Barraki sought to use the mask's power to restore themselves, only to fail.
Most of Kalmah's early life is unknown. However, he soon became leader of his own army and one of the six commanders of the League of Six Kingdoms, the Barraki. The faction then began to conquer the Matoran Universe, land by land. However, a surprise assault by the Brotherhood of Makuta decimated their army and the six Barraki were captured by Makuta Teridax. Botar arrived right when Teridax was about to execute the six warlords, demanding that he be allowed take them to the Pit. The two beings argued over jurisdiction of the Barraki until Botar finally took them and teleported away.
Soon after being mutated by the Mutagen, Kalmah discovered an organic species of Squid that fed on the life force of other creatures. He included these Rahi into his army and later invented special launchers, the Squid Launcher, for himself and the other Barraki, in return for a large realm undersea.
While living in the ocean, a clash began between him and Pridak over how much bigger Kalmah´s territory expanded. Pridak won, and punished Kalmah's insolence by permanently blinding him in his third eye.
He and the other Barraki were later freed from the Pit by the Order of Mata Nui to help defeat the Brotherhood of Makuta. Before he and the other Barraki could attack Metru Nui, Teridax was killed and Kalmah left the Matoran Universe. His mutations were later reversed when Mata Nui used the Ignika to restore Spherus Magna.
Abilities and Traits
After his mutation, Kalmah was stronger than he was fast, but he was able to glide silently through the water and seize and squeeze prey to death in his tentacle. He had three eyes, but he was blind in one (his top eye) due to a disastrous past encounter with Pridak. He is highly intelligent. Kalmah bred the Sea Squid the Barraki used in their launchers, making sure they were kept half-starved and vicious so they were ready for prey. He led an army of giant Squid.
Kalmah's main weapon was his tentacle that extended from both sides of his left "hand". He had five smaller sensory tentacles on the back of his head. The tentacles on the back of his head allowed him to sense surprise attacks beforehand in battle. He also wielded a Squid Launcher. In addition to his vampiric Squid that aid all of the Barraki, Kalmah's army mainly consisted of Giant Squid. He could also share memories with his Squids through physical contact. Now that his mutations were undone, Kalmah has lost all of these abilities.
- Kalmah is always willing to reach out a tentacle and embrace a stranger, be he friend or foe..and squeeze...and squeeze. Utterly ruthless, he is in charge of breeding the vampiric squid and turning them into living weapons for the Barraki.
- Kalmah was released in 2007 as one of the Barraki winter canister sets. His set number was #8917, and consisted of 53 pieces.
- Some of the Kalmah sets contained a wider, bigger foot instead of the foot seen on the canister.
- Comic 6: Web Comic - First appearance
- BIONICLE Legends 6: City of the Lost
- Barraki: Creeps From the Deep
- Comic 7: Mask of Life, Mask of Doom
- Comic 8: Sea of Darkness
- Comic 9: Battle in the Deep!
- BIONICLE Legends 7: Prisoners of the Pit
- Comic 10: The Death of Mata Nui
- Comic 11: Death of a Hero
- BIONICLE Legends 8: Downfall
- Destiny War
- Comic 7: Mask of Life, Mask of Doom comic middle
Members: Kalmah • Takadox • Ehlek • Mantax • Carapar (deceased)