A Nova Blast was an extremely powerful ability, often considered to be a last resort, which was unleashed when a Toa gathered and released all of their elemental energy at once. After a Toa had performed one, they were unable to use any elemental powers until their energies had recharged. They were rarely used because of their highly destructive and often lethal force.
Toa Hordika couldn't perform Nova Blasts, as they lacked the focus necessary to do so. Despite this, they could charge their Rhotuka to near-Nova levels. Turaga were unable to unleash Nova Blasts, simply because their elemental power levels were insignificant. Maskless Toa could perform significantly weakened Nova Blasts, however. "Toa" Ignika could also perform a Nova Blast, despite not being a true Toa.
- In the main story, only one Nova Blast has been seen so far; Toa Nuva Gali once used a Water Nova Blast as a last resort when she and the other Toa Nuva were fighting Makuta Icarax in Karzahni. She created a massive flood of water, which destroyed the entire realm.
- Toa Metru Vakama once considered unleashing a Fire Nova Blast during his fight against a fire creature, but decided against it, because it would destroy everything in a huge radius.
- In Comic 11: Death of a Hero, Toa Mahri Jaller almost unleashed a Fire Nova Blast before he was teleported back to Metru Nui. Once there, he had to force down his powers in order to avoid destroying the entire city.
- In BIONICLE Legends 11: The Final Battle, Toa Nuva Tahu considered using a Fire Nova Blast to defeat Makuta Vamprah, but decided against it as it would also harm his teammates.
- In Reign of Shadows, Toa Helryx was about to perform a Water Nova Blast while inside the mind of the Teridax-controlled Matoran Universe, but she was interrupted.
- In BIONICLE: The Game, there was a non-canonical appearance of the Nova Blast called a Nuva Blast.